
(This is how I feel)
Yes, that's right. Every night for the last week have been just that: sleepless. Here's the story.
Before I had Makoy, I swore that I would never let him sleep in our bed. Well, that went out the window after the first night home. We put him in his bassinet and Nick layed in bed clicking a flashlight on and off, on and off, until I finally got Makoy and put him in our bed. We had so many people tell us to get him out of our bed, but of course, I didn't listen. I figured we'd get him out when we were ready and it would be easy since he was so little. WRONG! Last week I decided it was time to put him in his crib. My sister, Devrie, told me it would be hard but that I just needed to stick with it. The first night was horrible. Makoy woke up 15-20 times. I slept in his room on the floor. The second night he woke up 8 times. The third and fourth nights, 4 times. I was so excited because he was improving at least. The past couple of nights he has reverted back and has been waking up at least 8 times a night. It's SO hard but hopefully worth it... If any of you have any advice, I'll take it! We aren't willing to let him "cry it out" yet. I don't feel like he's old enough. Any other ideas? Hopefully he'll get the hang of it and I'll be able to get a little shuteye soon. Wish me luck!
6 comments:
oh man! that picture says it all! i feel (and look) like that every morning!! i really wish i had some good advice for you. Garrett still wakes up 2-3 times in the night! i've tried letting him cry it out but i just can't stand to hear him sob in the next room! sad! we did this-when Garrett fell asleep we laid him in our bed first, waited til he was out, then picked him up and moved him into his crib. he seems to do fine (most nights) but there are some nights where we just give in and either john or i sleep on the couch..
don't worry-he'll get the hang of it! :)
Mack never slept with us but he just wasn't a good sleeper in general. I had to do "cry it out" with him once he was about 6 months cause he wouldn't let me rock him to sleep and wouldn't sleep through the night and as hard as it was then it has totally paid off. We can lay him down for nap or bedtime and he doesn't make a peep and goes right to sleep (most of the time). Whatever you decide just stick with it and sooner or later he will adapt to it.
Well, I never let the kids in my room when we started. The one bit of advice I will give you is something I started when the kids had trouble was playing the children's songbook cd in their room. It still works. Good luck.
So I text you this last night, but I didn know if you got it. So I'll tell you here too. We didn't do this with tayden, but most likely will with Beckett. Put him in his crib and let him cry for one minute. Go and comfort him. Then let him cry for two minutes. Go and comfort him. Then just keep adding a minute and eventually he will fall asleep. It will get easier and then you don't have to let him cry it out. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Hang in there and stick to your guns! It will be worth it for him and for you in the end. I totally feel for you and understand your emotions. I've been there. Hallie still won't go to sleep unless I am there with her. As hard as it is, in my opinion, its better to do it when they are young. Good luck!
Hmm...we totally screwed up coda!! Unless you want a six year old in your bed every night it's best not to bring him back to your bed.
Justin is so in love with his kids, that coda was never put in his room to go to sleep by himself until he was about two. Every night he was either rocked, held, of slept next to, usually by Justin. When he was about two we decided to try and and get him to go to bed on his own. Three nights of picking him up without any expression and putting him in bed. The first night was about 1.5 hours, but by the third night it only took about 15 minutes for the bed route. He did good for about a week, until he got sick and was let back into our bed. He is still in our bed at least four nights a week!
Now, with Gracie we did it completely different. I borrowed a book from Dev about getting babies to sleep. Stacey might have it now. But right at six months we decided to let her cry it out. I knew she was only waking up every four hours out of habit because she would go longer between feedings during the day. Justin really struggled with letting her cry. We had to close her door and ours and I still told Justin to go sleep down stairs. Well it took a few days, and that first night she slept seven hours was heaven! Today she still sleeps through the night and maybe she comes in our room once a month but she goes right back to bed when we walk her back. Coda, not so much.
If I could do it over again I would have just toughen up with coda and let him cry it out. I know you don't want to hear it, but I thought I could give you insight to the benefits of doing it both ways:
Enjoy your little man and his bed time routine because he will grow up to fast, but suffer the consequence still at age six
Or, try letting him cry it out a few days. If it doesn't work after three days maybe he isn't ready. But in the long run you'll get more sleep over the years if you do.
Whatever you do, be consistent in everything.
Wow, sorry for the long post. Good luck!
Post a Comment